The kitchen is a high-traffic area of your home, so it’s important to have the best design for cooking, entertaining, socializing and more. Installing new countertops for your kitchen will increase your home’s value by improving the kitchen’s appearance and functionality. The only way to gain these benefits is by choosing the best kitchen counter materials.
Each kitchen countertop material varies in function, quality and cost, so certain types are better suited for kitchens than others.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Kitchen Countertop Material
In the modern kitchen, the countertop is one of the most important aspects. They add:
- Function: Your countertops reflect how you use your kitchen. Do you prepare fabulous meals for parties or socialize with friends in your kitchen? These different ways to use the kitchen are best suited to different countertop types.
- Beauty: Countertops aren’t all about how they’re used. Getting a new countertop refreshes your kitchen and reflects your taste and personality. They are the kitchen’s focal point, and a stunning material, color and design will make your kitchen look new, even if you make no other changes.
- Value: Kitchen countertops are a part of your home potential buyers will look at first, so attractive countertop materials will influence the buyer’s decision. New countertops increase your home’s value, whether you want to sell right away or in a few years. Kitchen remodeling projects like replacing the countertops can add extensive value to your home’s resale value, so you’re likely to get back a large percentage of your investment.
- Style: As interior design styles and your personal preferences change, your countertop color or design may become outdated or undesirable. Updating your countertops modernizes your kitchen, giving it an ideal look you’ll enjoy.
- Space: A kitchen can never have enough counter space. You need space for cooking, kids need the counter for homework and guests need a place to gather. A new kitchen counter can improve all of these functions, so your kitchen has more practical uses.
Choosing the right kitchen countertop is important because it impacts your home’s appearance and value. A poor countertop will decrease your home’s resale price and the kitchen’s visual appeal and functionality.
7 Things to Consider When Buying Countertops for Your Kitchen
When it comes to kitchen countertops, form is as essential as function. Assess your needs from a countertop, and purchase a countertop material that meets these requirements. This way, you’ll get the best kitchen countertop material to last for years. There are several factors to consider for your countertop material, including:
Kitchen countertops serve several functions, including preparing ingredients, cooking meals, storing kitchen appliances and serving as the kitchen’s attractive focal point. A busier kitchen that sees a lot of use will need a more durable material than one that isn’t used much. If spills and accidents are common in your kitchen, you’ll want a material that won’t get damaged.
Decide which function is the most important to you, and let that guide your decision on the best kitchen countertop material for you. A material that serves your purpose will last longer and prevent premature replacement.
2. Heat Resistance
The best materials for countertops are heat-resistant, so they will not scorch or burn from hot pots and pans. You could set a skillet from the stovetop on the counter without a potholder, and these materials can take the heat.
3. Stain Resistance
With stain-resistant kitchen countertop materials, spilled liquids, juices, wines and sauces will not discolor the surface. If you accidentally splash pasta sauce or topple a glass of wine, there’s no need to be concerned about your stain-resistant countertop.
4. Scratch and Chip Resistance
Your kitchen needs durable countertops that can withstand each dice, slice, chop and cut of your ingredients. A durable material that’s scratch- and chip-resistant withstands damage and absorbs strong impacts from knives and other kitchen tools.
The price of your countertop materials is important since you need an option that fits your budget. With price in mind, consider a cost-effective material similar to a more expensive material. You can also mix and match your countertop material, like making the island different from the main counter.
Though countertops for kitchen spaces vary in price, they’ll last years with the proper care. Choosing an option within your budget means you’ll have money left over to invest in other areas of your kitchen, like a new sink.
All kitchen countertop materials need some level of maintenance to upkeep their appearance, but maintenance requirements are different for each. Some countertops have virtually no maintenance requirements, whereas others need frequent maintenance. If you are too busy to seal your countertop regularly, choose something more low maintenance. If you have the time to do countertop maintenance, consider more high-maintenance materials.
Once you’ve decided to replace your countertops, you probably have an idea of what you want your kitchen to look like. You can eliminate some options based on appearance alone. For example, if you want your kitchen to have a traditional look, don’t choose a countertop with a contemporary aesthetic. By considering appearance in your countertop material search, you can narrow your options to make your final choice easier.
Quartz countertops are made with quartz particles and binding polymer resins. This engineered material is easily customizable, so you can choose a design and color that matches the rest of your kitchen. Quartz absorbs strong impacts, making it ideal for food preparation.
Homeowners who don’t want any countertop maintenance should consider quartz countertops since they do not need to be sealed. Quartz is also resistant to heat, water, stains and bacteria. These qualities make quartz countertops a sanitary surface that won’t harbor bacterial growth.
This countertop material has a higher cost per square foot due to its high-quality design that will last for years. The price also makes quartz competitive with other luxurious kitchen countertops. Quartz’s durability and reliability appeal to homeowners, and its popularity will continue for years to come.
H.H. Ross has several types of quartz countertops:
- Corian®: Corian quartz is made from quartz crystals and resin. This engineered material has a solid, shiny surface that won’t absorb spills and holds up well to heat.
- Caesarstone®: Caesarstone quartz is a practical and attractive material made from ground quartz aggregates, polymers and pigments. They don’t require sealing and resist scratches.
- HanStone: HanStone is Canadian-made quartz available in various colors and designs that are easy to complement or match with your kitchen style. Their durability helps them stand up to the traffic of kitchen spaces.
- Cambria®: Cambria quartz is stronger than granite and comes in several stunning designs. It’s a certified safe food preparation surface because it prevents bacteria and mold growth. There are virtually no maintenance requirements since Cambria quartz doesn’t need to be sealed.
- Silestone®: Silestone quartz is a beautiful countertop material with several color options. The surface is easy to clean and resists staining and bacterial growth. This quartz also resists scratches from knives, silverware and other kitchen objects.
Natural Stone and Granite Countertops
Granite natural stone countertops are luxurious and sought-after countertop materials due to their high quality and range of design options. Granite is an igneous rock made from:
- Trace minerals
It’s found in granite quarries in the United States or other countries. The amount of each mineral in the granite determines the color, so the granite from each quarry looks different, resulting in nearly endless color and pattern options. When these granite slabs are extracted, cut and polished, they create beautiful, durable countertops.
Granite is heat-resistant, stain-resistant, and scratch and chip-resistant since it’s one of the toughest kitchen countertops available. This durability comes from the quartz found in granite — the higher the amount of quartz, the stronger the granite is. You can cook on high heat, pound meat, chop vegetables and more, all with confidence that your granite countertops will withstand any damage from these kitchen activities.
Granite has a few requirements for countertop maintenance. Granite is a porous material, so the countertop must be sealed to prevent the absorption of liquids. Once the granite has been sealed, it is virtually waterproof, and food can’t get into and stain the fissures. With proper maintenance, homeowners can expect their granite countertops to last for years.
Professional repair is required if your granite countertop happens to crack or chip. Though natural stone countertops have a high cost per square foot, you’ll recoup these costs through:
- Long-lasting durability: Granite countertops last for several years, so you won’t need to replace your countertops soon.
- High resale value: Granite countertops increase your home’s resale value, and many buyers look for homes with granite countertops in the kitchen. As a result, you can sell your home for a higher price and more quickly than you would if your kitchen had another countertop material.
Several patterns and varieties are available to match your kitchen. H.H. Ross has a few finish options, so we’ll work with the material to get the look you want. Our finishes include:
- Antique textured: The antique texture is the closest to its natural look.
- Honed: Honed granite countertops are a midrange finish that looks natural yet smooth.
- Polished: The polished finish makes the countertop mirrored and shiny.
Granite material has a unique appearance and is easily recognizable in kitchens.
Solid Surface Countertops
Solid surface countertops are made with natural minerals and polyester, epoxy and acrylic resins, creating a seamless appearance. It was designed as a synthetic alternative to granite. The nonporous material is ideal for kitchens since it will not stain or hold moisture. The solid surface also has low countertop maintenance requirements since the material is easy to clean and does not need to be sealed.
This countertop type will play well with the rest of your kitchen design. Since this material is synthetic, solid surface countertops have several patterns, colors and design options, including an integrated sink and backsplash. With this option, you will already have a sink and part of the backsplash, eliminating the need to look for these parts separately. The countertop can be dyed to a custom color and given a unique pattern to match your kitchen.
Solid surface countertops are durable and resist the wear and tear of everyday usage. If you use potholders and cutting boards, your solid surface countertop will not get scratched, heat damaged or stained. Its cost makes it competitive with natural materials like granite.
At H.H. Ross, we have two types of solid surface countertops:
- Corian®: Corian solid surface countertops are made from several minerals held together with resin. It has a natural solid surface and flexible design options to fit your unique kitchen space. The material can be reworked into a unique shape, and textures and patterns can be added.
- Meganite®: Meganite acrylic solid surface countertops are composite materials that provide a functional and attractive countertop surface for your kitchen. The surface is bacteria and stain-resistant to repel bacterial growth and food and drink stains. Meganite solid surface countertops last a long time without the need for special maintenance.
Choosing Henry H. Ross & Son, Inc.
Henry H. Ross & Son, Inc. is a family-owned company with more than 60 years of experience fabricating and installing countertops in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and beyond. Our countertops are made with precision quality to last a long time, even in the busiest kitchens. You’ll have more than 50 surface options to choose from, so we’re sure to have an option to meet your style, functions and budget.
In our modern showroom, you’ll find several options for:
- Countertops: Our countertop options are attractive and durable for kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms and other areas of your home.
- Edges: Embellish your solid surface, granite or quartz countertop with a full bullnose, roundover, small bevel, ogee or another type of edge. You can also create a custom counter edge.
- Sinks: We have stainless steel, solid surface and other types of sinks in various materials, sizes and shapes.
Our team strives to meet all of your needs because we want you to be satisfied with your new countertop. As a local business, H.H. Ross strives to provide our community with reliable countertop materials. Our options are always changing to match new trends and techniques, but our excellent quality never changes.
Contact Us to Learn More Today
Countertops are a vital part of a functional, beautiful kitchen, so it is important to know how to choose the right countertop material for your kitchen. H.H. Ross has several high-quality countertop options that will last a long time. Our team can help you choose the right material for your needs to give you your dream kitchen.
Learn more about the best kitchen materials by contacting us online today. We’ll provide more information about our counter options and a free quote for your kitchen renovation project.